Extreme Metal is a subgenre of heavy metal music that is characterized by aggressive and abrasive sounds, often featuring growled or screamed vocals, fast tempos, and complex instrumental work. Extreme Metal has a rich and diverse history, with roots in the 1980s and continued evolution to this day.
As scholars, researchers, and enthusiasts of music, we invite submissions of articles that explore the various aspects of Extreme Metal. We are interested in submissions that delve into the history, culture, and aesthetics of Extreme Metal, as well as the socio-political implications and influences of this subgenre.
Potential topics for submissions may include, but are not limited to:
- The evolution of Extreme Metal from its early beginnings to present day
- The role of Extreme Metal in subcultures and communities
- The role of gender, race, and sexuality in Extreme Metal culture
- Analysis of the themes and lyrics in Extreme Metal songs
- Analysis of Extreme Metal subgenres (e.g., black metal, death metal, grindcore)
- Examination of the musical techniques and instrumentation used in Extreme Metal
- The use of imagery and symbolism in Extreme Metal album art and live performances
- The relationship between Extreme Metal and politics, activism, and social movements
- The intersection of Extreme Metal with other genres of music (e.g., classical, jazz, electronic)
- Ethnographic studies of Extreme Metal communities and scenes around the world
- Exploration of the global reach and influence of Extreme Metal
- The impact of Extreme Metal on mental health and well-being
- The evolution of Extreme Metal festivals and live events
- The impact of Extreme Metal on popular culture and media
- Exploration of Extreme Metal’s relationship with spirituality and religion.
We welcome articles from a variety of perspectives, including musicology, cultural studies, sociology, anthropology, media studies, and more. We also encourage submissions that draw on interdisciplinary approaches and methodologies.
Submitted articles should be original and not previously published elsewhere. All articles will undergo a peer-review process to ensure high academic standards and originality. We also welcome book reviews related to Extreme Metal.
- Articles should be between 2,000 and 3,000 words.
- All submissions must be in English and follow the style guidelines of Chicago.
- Submissions should be sent via our form below, and there is no submission deadline. Please include a brief abstract (250 words) and a short bio (100 words) with your submission.
- All articles will undergo blind peer review by experts in the field.
- Acceptance is based on originality, clarity, and relevance to the topic.
We look forward to receiving your submissions and engaging in a rigorous and stimulating academic discourse on Extreme Metal.